Monday, February 06, 2006

Introducing: Rongy Stamer Trismegistus


"...but there is no remedy, it may not be redressed, desinent homines tum demum stultescere quando esse desinent [men will cease to be fools only when they cease to be men], so long as they can wag their beards, they will play the knave and fools. Because, therefore, it is a thing so difficult, impossible, and far beyond Hercules' labours to be performed; let them be rude, stupid, ignorant, incult, lapis super lapidem sedeat [let stone sit on stone], and as the apologist will, Resp. tussi et graveolentia laboret, mundus vitio [let the State cough and choke, the world be corrupt], let them be barbarous as they are, let them tyrannize, epicurize, oppress, luxuriate, consume themselves with factions, superstitions, lawsuits, wars, and contentions, live in riot, poverty, want, misery; rebel, wallow as so many swine in their own dung, with Ulysses' companions, stultos jubeo esse libenter [I give them full permission to be fools]. I will yet, to satisfy and please myself, make an Utopia of mine own, a New Atlantis, a poetical commonwealth of mine own, in which I will freely domineer, build cities, make laws, statutes, as I list myself. And why may I not?"

No comments:

Post a Comment